WHITE BEAN SOUP WITH PORTUGUESE SAUSAGE AND KALE
Serves: 4 people
Prepared for: 4 people
1 Carrot Chopped
1 stalk of Celery Chopped
1/2 Onion Minced
1/2 tsp Garlic Chopped
Pinch Crushed Red Chile
1/2 lb Cannellini Beans
1 bunch fresh Kale
1 piece Portuguese Sausage
1 cup White Wine
2 1/2 quarts of Chicken Stock
Pinch Dried Oregano
1 Bay Leaf
Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper to Taste
- Let Cannellini beans soak over night and rinse. Then simmer in water until tender. Allow to cool in cooking liquid.
- Kale – clean, remove stems and cut into pieces.
- Portuguese Linguica Sausage – cook, drain fat, cut.
- Heat a soup pot over medium heat. Sauté the garlic and pinch of crushed chile in olive oil until garlic begins to brown.
- Add carrots, celery and onions and sauté until veggies are soft.
- Add white wine and scrape any bits off the bottom of the pot, reduce wine to half.
- Add chicken stock, bay leaves and oregano and begin to simmer. Cook until stock has reduced by a quarter.
- Add sausage, kale and cook until kale is cooked through.
- Taste and season and stir. Add a bit of liquid from the cooked beans, taste and season again.
- To serve, ladle into a bowl and serve with warm crusty bread.